Sunday, October 14, 2018

(10-14) More Servers and Planning

This week, I was able to get the sysadmins at my school to give me a virtual machine on the school's network, along with a public domain name and apache. I configured apache to work with PHP and successfully implemented a site that has a button. When this button is pressed, it loads canvas data using php and ajax.

At first, nothing was running on the domain name I was given. After spending a few hours ensuring apache was configured correctly and everything was correct on my end, I approached the sysadmins for help. It turned out, my school's DNS didn't update and add my site. I didn't know what DNS was prior to this week, and I now know it stands for Domain Name System, and it essentially translates a web url to it's corresponding IP address.

This week, I'm going to finalize the processing of the Canvas API response in my site, add data from the game server my team is working on, and decide what reward system I would like to use in this project. At the moment, I am proposing simple XBOX Live-like "achievements" that show up as badges on the student's profile. The student would also be able to share these badges on facebook and display them on their profile. Additionally, some achievements can unlock in-game content.

In terms of in-game content, I would not like to reward students with items that would change gameplay in any way. For example, unlocking ultra-rare, stronger cards that would give users a boost in matches. I would like to work with my team to implement some kind of "skin" type reward. That is, have all cards of the same type have a simple design, such as cards in Magic the Gathering, and these rewards would reward users with cards that look different, glow, maybe have animations instead of static pictures, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment